Saturday 4 February 2012

Saturday - Michelsberg Suit Fitting & Reliance Lunch

Below is an article from the Leeds and Yorkshire Lawyer magazine, where Jo is referred to as debating royalty!! For her efforts of winning the debating competition last year, her prize was a bespoke suit made by the fantastic Michelsberg Tailors owned by James Michelsberg and based in the Victoria Quarter in Leeds. Amazingly for me, I am also a winner in this as James is making my suit for our wedding later in the year which is obviously brilliant!!

So today Jo and I went to the first of a number of sessions with James to get the process moving. We decided colours, fabrics and fit, and he took all my measurements in advance of the next meeting which will be first stage fitting. I must add that although Jo attended today, it will just be me in the future as I want the end result to be a surprise - a bit like her wedding dress I suppose!

It was a brilliant experience, and I felt thoroughly spoiled, from the warming Scotch on arrival that was a welcome addition to my coffee on a freezing Saturday, through to an hour and a half later when we said au revoir and headed to The Reliance for a long and leisurely lunch.
The magazine article
Michelsberg Tailoring
Collar choices for bespoke shirts
Choosing the suit fabric and colour
James measuring trousers
A work in progress
A great experience
Jo at the entrance to Michelsberg Tailoring
After a great time with James, we then had a lovely long lunch at The Reliance which is one of our favourite places to hang out in in Leeds.....it is a little off the beaten track but it was just the ticket on a snowy day in Leeds. We drank, ate and read the paper to our hearts content before heading home for the Calcutta Cup at 5pm......

Just a quick word on the food and drink that we had at Reliance. Jo went for kedgeree which was a really high standard with the right delicate and creamy texture, and well cooked fishy bits. My charcuterie and cheese platter was a real triumph and I will definitely have it again - it had 3 meats, some chunky pate, 3 cheeses, pickled onions, beetroot chutney, breads and crackers. I polished it all off - obviously! To complement the snow outside, we decided on a warm pudding of spotted dick and custard which again was great - in fact it was much tastier that a similar pudding that I had recently in a more high profile food establishment in Leeds. And the price? £38 excluding tip and including two pints of Estrella which was a real bargain. 9/10
Breads
Cheese and charcuterie
Kedgeree
A carafe of red
Spotted dick and custard

No comments: